BEST PRACTICE 02 – GIRL POWER
Organisation: CIC nanoGUNE.
Original name of the project: La ciencia es cosa de las chicas.
Duration of the meetings: Workshop of approximately 3 hours.
Venue: CIC NanoGUNE Headquarters
Secondary and Sixth Form students. Led by nanoGUNE researchers, girls are “nanoscientists” for one day.
In groups of 4-5 students, with the help of professional researchers, an activity is carried out in NanoGUNE.
They are given a chip and a laboratory card, various measurements and experiments are carried out, and the results are recorded.
The participating girls have the opportunity to project themselves in a work environment of this type.
At the end they have a snack and are given an opportunity to talk about their interests.
- By participating without family and teachers, their self-confidence is reinforced.
- It is an encounter between equals, characterized by closeness.
- Gender roles are fully overcome.
- Participants get to know the researchers and their professional environments, tools, etc.
- It allows them to ward off “freakism”.